Friday, February 02, 2007

The reality of being Kenyan

Before reading this article, please read what the late Wahome Mutahi said when he was campaigning to be president.



I will retire to Kisumu State House to receive defectors from the Opposition in Nyando and will smile as I receive cheques for 'projects of my choice' from the defectors. I will forget conveniently that I'm receiving money from the same people I had given relief food.

Then here is something for those who missed EA Standard's Feb O2, 07 edition.



Kham captured a "Kodak moment" of what makes us Kenyans. In Kenya, Mheshimiwa knows it all. Mheshimiwa in Kenya has the same status as that of Paris Hilton or Britny Spears of the USA. Mheshimiwa is an entertainer, an advisor, … an expert in everything! What Mheshimiwa says has to be right.

I was shocked when Prof. Ayiecho Olweny, MP, told the masses that they didn't have to read the Draft Constitution because Raila had read it and found it flawed. How could he say that and be applauded, I wondered. It is not till a friend of mine told me a few days ago that he had not read the draft that it hit me. Prior to that, this friend used to argue like he knew the contents of the draft inside out.

He profoundly lectured me on the demerits of the draft. He always talked about the Imperial president it would create. He showed his fears that the draft would take away land from Kenyans and bla bla bla. So a few days ago, I challenged him to tell me if or not he had read this draft. His honest answer was NO. He happened to be one of the millions of Kenyans who feel safe to let politicians interpret issues for them.

The in thing today is "Minimum Reforms." Everybody is singing "Minimum Reforms." Ask them what they want to be reformed and you will get a shock of your life. Those who may think they have the best knowledge will tell you: "we want a free Electoral Commission and reduced presidential powers."

When you demand for specifics, they will dismiss you as a Kibaki sympathizer. That is Kenya for you!

I think we put too much faith in politicians. It is time to take charge of our destiny. In Dholuo they say, Mhesmiwa ose rundo jowa mang'eny kendo nyaka koro watang'ne. Go ask for translation.

No comments: